Thursday, May 31, 2007

Destination - Shoe York

Danielle emailed me today with a link to this story. I have no idea why...

SHOE YORK CITY
SAKS DEPT. TO GET ENTIRE FLOOR & OWN ZIP
By LEELA de KRETSER

May 24, 2007 -- It's enough to make Imelda Marcos run for election in New York.
This summer, Saks will open a gigantic women's footwear salon that will take up an entire floor of its flagship Fifth Avenue store, feature 10,000 pairs of shoes - and even have its own ZIP code.
It's the first time in history that the U.S. Postal Service has issued a ZIP code plus four for a floor of a building, or allowed a business to dictate an alphabetical ending: 10022-SHOE.
All the gimmicks are likely to send women scuttling to Saks for slingbacks after the eighth-floor store opens in mid-August.
Not only will they be able to sift through thousands of pairs of designer shoes in the 8,500-square-foot showroom, but sip coffee at a luxury chocolate shop.
The eighth floor, to be renamed 10022-SHOE, will also have a dedicated elevator and extra staff to handle shoppers.
Well-heeled women can get their designer footwear repaired at an on-site cobbler. There will also be a VIP room for private shopping.
"Really, it is an enormous amount of space. There are probably bigger shoe floors, but this is going to be really big," said Saks' senior vice president of marketing, Terron Schaeffer.
On top of the showroom space, another 9,000 square feet will be dedicated to a stockroom and storage.
Hearing of the new shoe space, Si-Yeon Kim, a 36-year-old Manhattanite who's a dedicated shoe shopper, said, "I think I'll just live there. I'll move right in."


**************************************************

Now, I did not get to visit Shoe York, since it does not open until this summer. I only visited NEW York, but Shoe York is now on My List. That story reminded me of another New York trip, where I did pay a little visit to the Saks shoe department and, while browsing, happened to look up and see none other than Miss Natalie Cole.



She was not carrying her microphone. And when I say "look up", I'm not exaggerating. She is TALL! Probably 5'10 without Saks shoes on. So I picked up a velvet D'orsay pump and turned to her to ask if she thought that style was Unforgettable... No, no, no. I didn't do that. But I wanted to. Seeing celebrities is always so odd, since I don't expect them to be right there. Especially not right there in the shoe section where I'm browsing. Hopefully I will see her again, possibly in Shoe York. If I do, I really WILL ask her the Unforgettable shoe question - I'm sure she never hears stuff like that.