Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What else can I eat...

Those posts about chocolate made me hungry. Or, at least made me still want to discuss food. Sometimes I will get very specific cravings (and no, not necessarily monthly cravings), for very specific foods. Or very specific restaurants. What completely pains me, is when the craving is sharp and gnawing, and it is something like this:

"Oooh! I totally want to go to lunch at Tortilla Coast today - I'm positively craving those strawberry & lime swirl margarita pitchers, and a quesadilla."

Sounds great, no?

No. Tortilla Coast is in Washington DC. But my salivary glands think we are closer than the 3000-ish miles, and are flexing in anticipation of the lime half of the frozen margaritas. I have no idea why I do this to myself.

By the way, the picture does not show the strawberry half - it's probably on the other side.

I have a frequent, recurring cravings for food at establishments that I recurringly frequented when I lived in certain regions:

  • Sub Shop subs (Columbia, Missouri)

  • Ruttles' cheese curds (Ames, Iowa)

  • Obrycki's crab cakes (Baltimore)

  • Au pied du cochon's Croque Monsieur (Georgetown, DC - although I could do without the smug waiters asking me to repeat my order numerous times, just for a good laugh at my French 'accent' - cut me some slack, it was always 2AM when I was ordering this)...

  • Kimchi Kimbap at that little place with no name across from the school where I was teaching (Seoul, South Korea)

And one of the 2 main reasons I fly back to Chicago: Portillo's Hot Dogs. (The other reason is the Cubs. Wrigley Field also has some noteworthy hot dogs, but Portillo's are really the best.)

Beef Hot Dog - $2.09 With everything includes: mustard, relish, freshly chopped onions, sliced red ripe tomatoes, kosher pickle and sport peppers piled onto a perfectly steamed poppy seed bun. I only get the mustard and relish, and then put ketchup on it (which is apparently very un-Chicago of me, but whatever, I grew up in the suburbs). I garnish it with the accordian fries and a chocolate milkshake. And a Diet Coke - you know, to balance out the calories...

The longing is excruciating.

So I just need to learn to shift gears to the local eating channel, and focus on all the stuff here in Seattle that I eventually crave when I'm out of town for prolonged periods of time:

  • Cactus's butternut squash enchiladas, and mojitos

  • Nameless Korean place's Kimchi fried rice

  • Red Mill's burgers

  • Elliot Bay Pizza Co's pepperoni slices

And a Diet Coke - you know, to balance out the calories.