Sunday, June 10, 2007

Havana

When you are unable to travel to far-away places, you should just select bars and restaurants in your town that are named after far-away places. That way, when you're telling someone what you did on Saturday night, you can say stuff like "Oh, I went to Havana".

What did I do Saturday night? Oh, I went to Havana.
I've also been to the actual city of Havana,
and the two experiences were surprisingly similar.



Havana the city: kind of a challenge to get to from the U.S.
Havana the club: kind of a challenge to find from the street.
********************
Havana the city: I had to go through customs and show my passport.

Havana the club: I had to go through the door and show my driver's license.
********************
Havana the city: They served mojitos.


Havana the club: They served mojitos.
********************
Havana the city: the U.S. dollar was widely accepted.
Havana the club: many U.S. dollars were accepted.
********************
Havana the city: since my Spanish is halting, communicating was slightly difficult. Que?
Havana the club: since the music was so loud, communicating was very difficult. What?
********************
Havana the city: there was dancing.
Havana the club: there was dancing after several mojitos.


Havana the city: Walking around the streets of Havana afforded ample opportunity to photograph the local life, like groups of schoolchildren.

Havana the club: Hanging out on the dancefloor of Havana afforded ample opportunity to photograph my friends, acting like schoolchildren.

Next weekend I might go to Kabul, or Bombay, or Kyoto.