Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Fashion Dilemas on the 4th of July

On a day-to-day basis, I am not likely to be seen toting the American flag, and shouting "God Bless America", or anything that would be construed as any type of scary fanatical redneck patriotism. However, I do enjoy the 4th of July, and actually pause for a moment, on that day, to appreciate living in a country where I can pretty much just run around and do and wear whatever I want. I cannot fathom being required to wear something like this:


I mean, the cheese grater would definitely come in handy; I'm not saying it's not functional, but still.

This is the one day out of the year that I like to celebrate the Red, White and Blue, and try to find something in my closet that honors at least two of those three colors. It is not as easy as it sounds, but I'm making the effort, and have not even - for a second - considered body paint as an option.

I googled "American Flag" today, and this was the second image that came up.

Seriously. The SECOND image??? This is what we want to see when looking for photos of the American Flag? Well, I'm sure there are plenty of guys who feel extremely patriotic, and probably stand at attention (ahem) when they see this photo. I am not wearing that to Sally's party. The dangers of stray fireworks, alone, are reason enough to avoid this look. Maybe the burka-with-cheese-grater isn't such a bad idea. I'm looking for one in Red, White and Blue.