Thursday, July 26, 2007

I Think My Dad Wants His Own Blog

From an email today, entitled "The Personal Letter in the 21st Century":

"Many years ago I decided the telephone was an intrusion on my daily living. Thus, I didn't have one. I commented to a friend quoting Henry Adams, the historian of the famous Adams family not the TV family, that I didn't want to be dragged kicking and screaming into the twentieth century. My friend remarked that the telephone was a nineteenth century invention. But I digress. Blogs, e-mails, myspace, facebook etc. are all contributions to our lives that pile up the information, mis-information and clutter. The letter composed with care using a fountain pen, in absence of a well-sharpened quill pen that I was taught to use to learn the Palmer method of hand-writing, is still my choice as I ease toward the happy hunting ground. Long after the discs of bits are consigned to the waste bin, the letter on a good quality paper endures. I do enjoy your travel blog and encourage your continuing to write as you have the gift as does your aging Uncle Charles. He really is your Uncle Charlie. But, I fear that my comments would be too jeu d'esprit for your blog.
Love, Dad"

I would like to point out that I have not received a "letter composed with care, using a fountain pen" from my dad in YEARS. Instead, he clips out 9-page articles from the New Yorker, tucks them in an envelope and sends them to me, with "love, Dad" signed at the bottom.

I would also like to point out that I am totally shocked that my dad knows what Facebook is. I'm going to start a profile for him immediately.