Sunday, July 29, 2007

More Brushes With Fame

All that exhausting cleaning had drained me of any energy I might have normally had for a Saturday night, and I bowed out of plans to go out salsa dancing. I came home around 9:40PM, and decided to watch one of my Netflix:


which I actually might have liked, had I not already seen it, several years ago, when it was edgier, funnier, and called "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels".
"Smokin' Aces" was, unfortunately, just a less-impressive, slightly more confusing, imitation, with a LOT of big names. The movie wasn't awful, but did occasionally feel like it was trying too hard to be uber-hip. There WERE some fantastic performances, though. The ones who impressed me in this were:


This one -


This one -


And this one -I am going to veer off on one of my "I met him!" tangents now. Get some snacks.

Jeremy Piven was in the movie "Lucas", which was filmed at my high school. There were a number of actors in "Lucas" whom my friends and I had never heard of, but later became pretty famous: Charlie Sheen, Corey Haim, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Winona Ryder, and Mr. Piven. By watching the filming of the movie (all day, every day), we became very familiar with the faces, and, to this day, we love pointing out anyone who was associated with the movie.

In 1987 (yikes) my friend, Jill, and I went to see Bruce Springsteen at the Rosemont Horizon, and had floor seats, around Row 21 or something.

(By the way, if you have never seen "The Boss" live, you are missing out. You don't even need to like his music. He is an astounding performer.)

Anyway, there we were, two little high-school girls in Row 21 or something, and I noticed Jeremy Piven - whose name we didn't know at the time - a couple of rows ahead of us. I started poking Jill excitedly and pointing at him. I have no idea why. He was just this guy, whose name we didn't know, who was in the somewhat cheesy movie they filmed at our high school. I was still excited.

(Another tangent here: when everyone from our high school saw the movie, we dubbed it The-ABC-Afterschool-Special-Lucas. We really didn't think it was good.)

Jill cupped her hands around her mouth and started bellowing "Looooooo-cas, Loooooooo-cas", until Jeremy Piven - whose name we obviously didn't know - turned around, and smiled agreeably, and then chatted with us for a couple of minutes. He really was so nice, and this is yet another embarrassing celebrity ambush that I look back on with great chagrin.

Thankfully, I stopped doing things like that after high school. Now when I see celebrities, I just don't even realize that they actually are celebrities. Instead, I am convinced that I know them from somewhere: college, spring break, traveling, something. Which is only slightly less embarrassing. Especially when I approach them and ask them how I know them, and say things like "was it college? spring break? Costa Rica?" and they say "Um, no, you don't look familiar to me, but you might know me because I was on Season 3 of Road Rules."

I really need to stop watching so much TV.