Thursday, July 12, 2007

My ACTUAL Birthday Totally Rocked

Although "rocked" may be the wrong word; depending on who is reading this. There was no loud music, no dancing, and no barfing. It was pretty low-key, but I loved it.

I had a minor wardrobe crisis earlier in the day, but if I go into too much detail about that, Rich will roll his eyes right out onto the sidewalk. It worked out just fine, and my friend Kerry took me to birthday lunch at Boat Street Cafe, and I felt like we were somewhere in Europe. So I'm going to tell everyone that I went to Europe for my birthday.

THEN, I went to Solo Bar to meet up with all the awesome people who wanted to help me celebrate my birthday. And a few people who just thought they were going to Happy Hour. I like to start off all monumental evenings by taking an apartment self-photo. Two guesses as to which major appliance was used as the makeshift tripod...

I am fully aware that this is ridiculous and self-indulgent, but it is my birthday, and the birthday is the ONE day out of the entire year when it is perfectly okay to do things like this. I also like it because it is the best my hair/makeup/outfit/etc. will look all night. Before the hair frizzing, before the makeup smearage (that is probably a word), and before I eat 3 large pieces of my Coca-Cola cake and bloat right out of my fun birthday outfit. OH! And to make this Travel Related, the photo in the background is of the Great Wall of China. Shazam!

I fancy myself an amateur/pretend photojournalist, and really love just taking pictures at any and all events. Okay, and most of the time it's me corraling some innocent bystander to take photos of me and my friends, so I guess - if you need to be technical about it, I am not an amateur/pretend photojournalist at all...more of a usurper of others' photojournalistic talents. I'm okay with that. It's my birthday.


AND, on the Evite that I sent out asked everyone to wear their "most entertaining shoes". I will use any excuse to buy a new pair of shoes. I looked through my closet numerous times, and none of those shoes were entertaining. I had seen them all before. I had to buy new ones.

Mine are the black super-strappy ones. And, Rich, I found them at DSW, 80% off of the already-discounted price. They retailed for $118. I got them for $15.98. Happy Birthday indeed! The other shoes, from left to right, belonged to Card, Allison, and Steffenie. Thanks for playing! Ohhhh, Kerry is going to be mad that she didn't get her cute red patent leather flats in that shot...

OH OH - AND, I get to talk about what I asked for for the b-day. I requested that if, IF anyone had been considering bringing a gift, they please visit JustGive, and type my name in under "Find a Wish List", and then they could donate however much they wanted, to any of the 7 charities (carefully selected - I promise) that I chose for my Wish List. My sister Jessie was like "um, are you a Do-Gooder now?" Yes, and I've added that to my resume "Do Gooder - from 2007-?". Although, I did say that people could bring funny cards if they wanted. And they DID want.

That was awesome, and I carried them all home with the remnants of my delicious Coca-Cola cake. Getting older is fun.


COCA - COLA CAKE

2 c. plain flour2 c. sugar2 sticks butter3 tbsp. cocoa1 c. Coca-Cola1/2 c. buttermilk2 eggs, whole, beaten1 tsp. soda1 tsp. vanilla1 1/2 c. mini marshmallows
Combine sugar and flour in a mixing bowl. Heat butter, coca cola and cocoa to boiling and pour over flour and sugar mixture, mixing thoroughly. Add buttermilk, eggs, soda, vanilla and marshmallows; mix well. This will be a thin batter with marshmallows floating on top. Bake in a greased and floured flat pan at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Ice while hot.
ICING FOR COCA-COLA CAKE:
1 stick butter3 tbsp. cocoa6 tbsp. Coca-Cola1 box powdered sugar1 c. pecans1 tsp. vanilla
Combine butter, Coca-Cola and heat to boiling. Pour over sugar. After beating, add pecans and vanilla. Spread over hot cake.