Friday, July 20, 2007

Remembering Acapulco

I should really try to write more about ACTUAL travel, as the name suggests. Today is as good a day as any, as it is now Allegedly July in Seattle - 64 degrees, and rainy. When I went to Acapulco in February it was 90 degrees and sunny. Every. Single. Day.


Wow, just looking at the blue sky improves my mood greatly! Now, as a complete destination snob, I usually pooh-pooh any destination that was a frequent port-of-call on "The Love Boat". However, my Bible listed a hotel in Acapulco that just sounded too good to pass up. And I've mentioned my fervent compulsion to make checkmarks throughout that book, right?

Las Brisas, Acapulco was my target. "Las Brisas" means "the breezes" in Spanish. Just hearing it elicits the same reaction as my first few sips of margarita. Las Brisas is this fantastic complex, built on a cliff overlooking Acapulco Bay, that has "Casitas" (free-standing rooms) with either shared or private plunge pools. This was mine - ALL MINE!


Seriously, I got this little patio, with an umbrella table and lounge chairs and everything. And then this was my cute Casita:

Yes, I stocked up on Diet Coke at the little grocery store on my way to the hotel. My fun taxi driver - who made me practice my Spanish - just waited for me in the parking lot.

And then, stay where you are, and do a 180 turn, and this was what I woke up to. Every. Single. Day.



This was not a trip where I immersed myself in the local culture, or learned anything about the history or the people. This was all about me and my Love Boat-minus-the-boat vacation. I was there for 5 days, by myself, just reading, watching movies, relaxing in the sun, and plunging in my little pool.

I did venture out one day. And when I say "out", I mean I walked down the winding driveway to the Las Brisas shuttle that took me to the private beach club for the day, where I read books, watched movies ("Soapdish" on my Hot Pocket), relaxed in the sun, and plunged in the lagoon. This was my self-assigned station:



I have Lazy Vacation down to a science.