Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Moment of Silence, Please

For the most part I stumble around the Blogiverse pretty aimlessly, looking for things I find interesting, funny, shocking, whatever. When I find something I like, I am quite pleased, and rightly so - there is a LOT of crap out there.

Remember the whole Capitol Hill scandal with Jessica Cutler:

and her letters to Penthouse revealing blog? (Would someone please accompany Ms. Cutler to the Intimate Apparel department at Nordstrom, where the salesclerk can explain how to wear appropriate undergarments with that transparent white top?) I hadn't really dug into that at all, but saw Cutler quoted on the back side (no pun intended) of Kerry's copy of "Bitter is the New Black", and decided to Google The Washingtonienne to see what all the fuss was about.

After reading a page-full of posts, mouth vacillating between agape and puckered-in-disgust, I went back to Google and started reading a thoughtful, informative, and articulate entry about Ms. Cutler and the scandal on a website called SteveGilliard.Blogspot. I really enjoyed the piece, and was thinking "Oooh, I like this, and I can add it to my blogroll, and read other stuff by this Steve Gilliard guy."

I noticed that the posts on SteveGilliard.Blogspot stopped on January 22, and there was a post about how he and his writing partner, Jen, were moving to a new format, and had a new web address, and it was fancier and blah blah. So I'm doing my exasperated sigh, and I'm all "oh for crying out loud, you mean I need to remain seated on my arse, and type in a whole new web address, that will take me mere seconds, to get to this new site?" How lazy am I? Pretty lazy.

I typed http://www.thenewsblog.net/ into the browser window and was hit with this:

"Steve Gilliard, 1964-2007
It is with tremendous sadness that we must convey the news that Steve Gilliard, editor and publisher of The News Blog, passed away June 2, 2007. He was 42.
To those who have come to trust The News Blog and its insightful, brash and unapologetic editorial tone, we have Steve to thank from the bottom of our hearts. Steve helped lead many discussions that mattered to all of us, and he tackled subjects and interest categories where others feared to tread.
Please keep Steve's friends and family in your thoughts and prayers.
Steve meant so much to us.
We will miss him terribly."


WTF??? Now I'm all upset and in shock, and I didn't even know this guy, but I had JUST discovered that I really liked his writing, and now I don't get to read it anymore. And he was only 42???

Did you know this man?


And such a sweet, kind face! I hate stuff like this. It makes me sad. And now I'm quite possibly making you sad. I promise the next post will be very shallow and vapid with photos of shoes and overexposed celebrities, but for now, a moment of silence for Mr. Steve Gilliam.