Monday, August 13, 2007

Netflix

I love Netflix.


I do. But it feels like homework. I have been a "member" (I belong!) for about a year, and am on the "Two DVDs at a time" plan. When they arrive in the mail I have a combined response of excitement, and panic. Excitement "Oooooh! One of my STORIES is here!", and panic "oh crap, I have NO time this week...when am I going to watch these???" Like there is some sort of time limit on the DVDs.

The beauty of Netflix is supposed to be that there is NO time limit on the DVDs, and you may keep them for as long as you'd like. However, being the driven, bargain-hunter that I am, I feel it my duty to watch as many DVDs as possible, in the shortest amount of time. Get mah money's worth!

Well, I successfully relaxed my "homework" panic for the past 3 weeks, with one of the DVDs, and just let it sit and collect dust. This one:



I have had ample opportunity to watch this, over the past three weeks. Ample opportunity that I just decided to ignore. This particular movie just seemed so unappealing, for whatever reason. Whatever reason being that Charlotte's last name is "Gray", and the weather here has been so dismal, I was expecting the movie "Charlotte Gray" to be a very dismal, gray affair to watch. And yes, I did select it myself, during one of my "I want to watch every Cate Blanchett movie ever made" moments, so I have only myself to blame.


I finally buckled under the pressure of having let that DVD sit in front of the television for a full three weeks, and yesterday I said "No more!" and watched "Charlotte Gray". I loved this movie for the following reasons:

1) Cate Blanchett - who can do no wrong in any movie, and whom I think was robbed of the Best Actress Oscar for "Elizabeth". You know, the year Gwyneth Paltrow won for "Shakespeare in Love"? Gwyneth did a fine job in that film, but on a comparison level, there really is none. Seriously. Watch both, and tell me I'm mistaken. I won't listen, of course, but you can tell me anyway.

2) The story - without giving too much away, it's about a woman who goes to France during WWII to work as a Special Operations Executive (SOE).

3) The scenery - gorgeous French countryside, and a fantastically attired cast. And Billy Crudup, who I used to find attractive before he left Mary Louise Parker when she was 7 months pregnant with his baby. Since he had not yet left the pregnant Mary Louise Parker at the time he made this film, it is perfectly acceptable to think he looks tasty onscreen. But I digress.

I liked the film so much that I watched each and every one of those "Special Features" that they have on the DVD. Even the Theatrical Trailer. I just didn't want it to end.

The very best part of this, is that I can finally turn that homework in tomorrow. And then prepare for more homework to arrive on Wednesday. God, the stress just never ends.