Friday, September 14, 2007

iPod and Starbucks

(Alternate title: Why I will never amass an adequate downpayment for a house).

You sit there, sipping your First Official Fall Pumpkin Chai, contemplating your summer spending. Granted, you knew this would be a fairly spendy summer, given the required shoe shopping and mojito consumption wedding events with gifts, and travel preparation for Europe, whilst still paying off May's New York trip.

You might think to yourself "hmmm, self, it's prolly time to tighten the belt a little and mebbe eliminate some of the less-necessary expenditures for a bit".

Or, if you were me, you would think "Hey, I haven't checked iTunes for like 3 months!" and then proceed to spend 4 hours updating your Hot Pocket and discover that there are a whole mess of songs/albums/movies that you really should have on there, especially since you'll soon be on a monster flight from Seattle to Prague. (Monster series of flights would be more accurate, as there is no non-stop between those two cities.)

iTunes has a somewhat limited, and slightly odd assortment of movies to choose from. I will only allow myself to purchase movies that I ADORE watching, and am able to view repeatedly without tiring of the plot, dialogue, characters, etc.

Currently, my Hot Pocket movies consist of "The Incredibles" and "Soapdish". And I added "A Fish Called Wanda" last night.

I'm not sure how smart it is to have entertainment that induces snorting, as your airport/airplane media fodder, as it may make seatmates slightly uncomfortable. Like the time I was on a flight to Acapulco, reading the first story in David Sedaris' "Dress Your Family in Corduroy & Denim", and was pressed up against the window, in my seat, shaking uncontrollably with tears streaming down my face, trying to stiffle violent snickers. It just seems to make people a little nervous. I should really add some dramatic films, or documentaries to the Hot Pocket.

But I'm not spending any more money on iTunes right now. I am putting my foot down. My foot that is wearing very fun new Fall boots. Fall boots on which I may, or may not, have just spilled a little pumpkin chai.