Monday, October 8, 2007

Shoes - Form vs. Function

I have still not located the perfect Travel Shoe - wickedly attractive, yet comfortable enough to withstand cobblestone streets for 8 hours at a time. They sound a little like a superhero, my ideal shoe...

This reminded me of Ugly Comfortable shoe options: Uggs and Crocs.

I bought a pair of Uggs, and they are like fluffy pillows for my feet. I still do not wear them outside of the house. They are my fancy Australian house slippers.



Crocs, on the other hand, have been offending me since my first sighting, on an aged, overly tanned fellow, wearing short-shorts and lime green Crocs around SeaTac airport. "Egads - those things are hideous" I said to myself, inside my head, while also wondering why that man selected short denim cutoffs as his in-flight pant-of-choice.

I try not to judge the unfamiliar, without legitimate reason, and have been known to say "don't knock it 'til you try it". No, I'm not 62.

I tried on a pair of Crocs.

They are not comfortable.

They are not UNcomfortable, but please. If shoes are going to be THAT unattractive? They should feel like there are hundreds of tiny hands, massaging every muscle in your foot; perhaps massaging them with peppermint foot lotion.