Monday, November 12, 2007

Maybe We All Just Need A Makeover

The holiday season movies are starting! I LOVE this. For some reason, I prefer watching these movies when they're on TV, rather than renting them, or watching one that I already own. I think it has something to do with knowing that other people are watching it at the same time. I'm all about solidarity with my TV viewing. "The Sound of Music", "It's A Wonderful Life", "Miracle on 34th Street", and "The Wizard of Oz".


I watched "The Wizard of Oz" last night, and realized that my absolute favorite scene has always been the one where Dorothy and the others get their makeovers inside the Emerald City.

I just loved seeing the Tin Man have his exterior properly buffed, and the Scarecrow get some fresh straw for his stuffing, and Dorothy's braids all brushed out into those ringlet curls, which matched the ringlet curls of the Cowardly Lion's mane (he's supposed to be gay, right?).


Now, from what I've heard about "Wicked" (the novel and the musical), they do cover the sibling-ish rivalry issue between the Wicked Witch of the West, and Glinda the Good Witch. I just know that all those years of being overshadowed by the blonde, pretty, not-green one would really take a toll on someone, and I think that if the Wicked Witch of the West had been included in the fun group makeover day, she might have been a little more reasonable and friendly.

She could have gotten a little Mystic Tan spray (which I normally don't approve of, but I suppose orange is better than green), and an eyebrow wax, and they could have done a hot oil treatment on her hair to eliminate those damned frizzies. There wouldn't have been enough time for any plastic surgery procedures, but with a little lipstick and maybe some mascara, I think she could have looked into a mirror and felt a little better about herself.

She couldn't have been all bad, deep down. She had great taste in, and proper reverence for, sparkly shoes.