Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tell Me Something I Don't Know

MSNBC's Technology & Science section (something I typically treat like vegetables, and ignore) features this story:

Prehistoric women had passion for fashion.

Thank you!

"The unnamed tribe who lived between 5400 and 4700 BC in the 120-hectare site at what is now Plocnik knew about trade, handcrafts, art and metallurgy. Near the settlement, a thermal well might be evidence of Europe's oldest spa.
'They pursued beauty and produced 60 different forms of wonderful pottery and figurines, not only to represent deities, but also out of pure enjoyment,' said archaeologist Julka Kuzmanovic-Cvetkovic."


When I hear some frizzy-haired, unshowered "natural" type, reeking of patchouli and yammering on and on about how shallow and superficial it is to focus on your looks, I can't help but roll my eyes. Just because you are trying to save yourself an hour's worth of prep time every morning, doesn't make everyone else shallow and superficial. It just makes you kind of lazy. Women have been wearing makeup, jewelry and fun shoes for ages. AGES I say!


Fashion and "looks" are one of many ways to define a culture, as well as to just enjoy life. It's been proven (by studies I am too lazy to look up - I had to shower and put makeup on this morning and that usurped all my energy) that people enjoy beautiful things: art, nature, music...and Cameron Mathison from "Dancing With The Stars"; he was wearing some whisper-thin pants last night...and seems to have forgotten how to properly wear his shirt in this photo...

I completely forgot what I was talking about.