Thursday, December 13, 2007

White Christmas - Watch With Snacks


Every time I watch "White Christmas" (which, you can imagine, is at least once or twice a year), I am so distracted by Vera-Ellen's impossibly stick-thin frame (her waist is the size of my ring finger - a 5, and it had better be platinum, mister), that I barely have more than a few minutes to think about how Rosemary Clooney is George Clooney's aunt.

Are they related by blood? Does George resemble Rosemary? Maybe a little...in the jawline/chin area...Does George watch "White Christmas"? Does he know that my ring size is a 5?

And then back to noticing that every item in Vera-Ellen's on-screen wardrobe involves a turtleneck. Which, I assumed was covering up an undoubtedly emaciated neck. Seriously, she was SO thin! She was adorable, and a fabulous dancer, but I spend 80% of the movie just gaping at her cinched waist, which looks like it will simply snap if you pull the belt one notch tighter.


I checked IMDB, and my self-proclaimed astute fashion-sensors were once again, right on target.

"All of her costumes in White Christmas (1954), down to her robe and sleepwear, were designed to cover her neck, which was aged beyond her years due to her eating disorder, anorexia."

The lesson here? Eat those Christmas cookies. Very few people can carry off a turtleneck.