Friday, March 21, 2008

My Break-Up With Marie Claire

I have questioned Marie Claire's loyalty to me (and her other subscribers) in the past, when the "special renewal" rate offered was, surprisingly, higher than those annoying little inserts that fall out of a new issue every time you turn a page.

Annoying insert for any random new subscriber: $12 for 1 year

MC "special renewal" rate for loyal current subscribers: $18 for 1 year

This is how Marie Claire shows her love for my years of patronage?

I noticed that I hadn't yet received the tired-looking Reese Witherspoon cover issue, but then grew more concerned when I did not receive the Jessica Alba cover issue, which was apparently a BIG FASHION ISSUE:


I was looking forward to that - I love that Dolce & Gabbana dress!

So, I was sitting and leafing through my filing cabinet, found the "subscriptions" folder, and lo and behold: bill for Marie Claire, for 2-yr subscription, paid May 2006.

Now, I'm no mathematician, but I'm thinking I should have at least received issues through April 2008...


I phoned Marie Claire's customer service line, gave my account number to the representative on the other end of the line, after which he said "no, the bill you paid in May 2006 was only for 15 issues, so your last issue was November".

I know that 15 issues does not equal the 24 issues I was promised, and I am completely fed up with the subscription discrepancy (say that 5 times fast) anyway.

I have decided that I will be too busy with Bazaar, InStyle, Vogue, and Elle...


Sorry, Marie who?