Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Self-Diagnosed Condition - Achargaphobia

After a spenderful trip to Amsterdam and London, I am now terrified of using my credit card. And I feel like, if I don't leave my apartment, I won't spend any more money.


Fear of leaving apartment + fear of spending money = Achargaphobia

(Regarding online shopping: I am only allowed to add things to my Wish List on Amazon - not the Shopping Cart).

So when I explain that I was watching the "Real Housewives of New York City" marathon,
you'll forgive me, right?


I totally got into it, and then wanted to find something online that explained more about the show, blah blah, and I stumbled upon Fans Of Reality TV and YIKES. Not enough scratching posts or litter boxes in the world.

If you are feeling catty and nasty and a little more catty, there is a forum for you. I had to
click through 8 pages of comments to find someone who actually had something positive to say about any of the housewives, or the show itself.

It was totally funny that multiple people were saying how much better the Real Housewives of the OC were.

Also funny were the people who said stuff like: I wish Bravo would give us something better to watch.

Okay, if you get Bravo, you get other cable channels. And you probably have a remote control, no? With buttons that say "Channel up" or "channel down"? Yes. The power lies in your hands. If you hate the show that much, just change the channel.

One commentor on that Fans site was all "I was shocked at how immature they were". That, unfortunately, IS reality. I used to have the naive idea that as people age, they also mature. This is sadly not the case, and I've experienced my fair share of peoples' inner-12-yr olds.

Honestly, I think if you only watch one episode, the housewives all seem unbearable. Try the marathon! I felt the same way about the NYC women, as I did about the OC women at first, but the more you watch, the more you get to know them. Well, "get to know them" in the TV sense, anyway.

They are just like any other social group in that there's jealousy, insecurity, friendship, loyalty, blah blah blah. I love these shows because they are basically studies in how people interact with one another.

And with the NYC ladies I can also shop vicariously without spending money. Or leaving the apartment.