Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Favorite Guinness

Sometimes people will say to me "You have been EVERYWHERE!" which immediately makes me think of all the places I haven't been. Omagh, County Tyrone, Ireland is one of those places.


Well, actually, all of Ireland is one of those places, but I'm specifically focused on Omagh because, with my crazy fundamentalist-like obsession with Family Tree Maker I have found that my third great-grandparents came from the Old Country.



Isn't that a pretty Old Country? James McAnaney and Catherine McNamee made the trans-Atlantic voyage to the New World (or as we know it, Amurrrica) sometime between 1806 and 1836, when their first child, John, was born, in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. See? You're already thinking "I wonder if any of MY relatives came over from Ireland...I need to get a Family Tree Maker!" It is more addictive than Facebook. Or meth.

So now, not only do I have a perfectly legitimate excuse to visit The Emerald
Isle, I have interesting family history research to do when I get there. I have been watching "Who Do You Think You Are?" religiously, and love that the subjects actually go to each place to find clues. I have found plenty of my own family information online, and even one of WDYTYA's executive producers, Lisa Kudrow, has admitted you don't really need to make all those trips to find the information. However, since I'm always looking for reasons to travel, I will ignore that. This is one trip that wouldn't just be another shopping/eating/drinking extravaganza. It would also have satisfying rewards at the end of the research rainbow. And Guinness.


I know that would have seemed more Irish if it had been a photo of a pint of Guinness, but a photo of Daphne Guinness is just so much more spectacular.