Monday, March 7, 2011

Pour Manger?

Two words you should learn in French, if you plan to visit La France, are "pour manger", which is what you will be asked in nearly every cafe or restaurant you enter. They want to know if you're there to eat (as opposed to merely sousing yourself in the tantalizing French wines).

Two places at which you should manger in Paris are:


As the nice place-mat says, Les Deux Magots. An establishment of establishments, which began as a drapery in 1813 and took it's name from a successful play at the time "The Two Magots of China". The term "magot" was used to describe (according to different sources) either Chinese commerical traders or Confucian wise men. The cafe was frequented by Jean Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, and Ernest Hemingway. And now me. I'm totally adding myself to that list of distinguished writers.

And...



Le Cigale Recamier. The souffles are insane. Lighter than the banter between Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy, and fluffier than Kim Kardashian's tweets. I had the mini-souffle with mushrooms. I think. It might have had escargot...what does that look like to you? Right on top? Either way, it was delicious. And while I ordered a mini-caramel souffle for dessert, they brought me the monster size. Also delicious. I was too stuffed to take a photo by that point.

So, when they ask you "Pour manger?" you just say "OUI!"