Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My Ivy League Background

I'm getting deeper and deeper into the ancestry, and deeper and deeper into New England. Settlers and Puritans and Pilgrims, OH MY. I had to visit a few places in Connecticut so I chose New Haven, specifically the New Haven Hotel, as my base for two nights.



This is one of the worst hotel room photos I've ever taken, but I was tired and couldn't find a good angle without stringing myself from the ceiling. There was no string in my suitcase.

The hotel itself was a relief, after having to drive through a moderately sketchy neighborhood to reach it. It was very W-esque. Not charming or quirky, but very efficient and comfortable: good bed, good water pressure, fitness room, free Wi-Fi, and was big enough to accommodate my luggage explosion without infringing on my relaxing space.

I wandered into town with the express purpose of buying sweats. Sweatpants, sweatshirt. I realized I really didn't have a proper "I give up" ensemble at home, and the best sweats are university sweats. The ones I got have pockets - you know, for snacks and stuff. I'm especially looking forward to wearing them and having a random person ask, "Oh, did you go to Yale?" and I'll say, "Yes I did." Only for about twenty minutes, but yes I did.